Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Three Cold Days in London

   
     I've been thinking for the last few weeks about which travel destination I'd like to write my next blog about, so when photos popped up on my "Facebook Memories" from my trip 7 years ago this week, I took this as a sign from the universe to write about London, England. I went on this trip as a guest of someone who was hired by the New York Bakery Company to promote NYC style bagels in London. By the way, I just checked and the website says these bagels are suitable for vegans :)
      It was three very cold January days hopping in and out of a cab to different locations around London to photograph  and promote these bagels. I am grateful to have gone to a new destination (all expenses paid) and to have been taken to many famous tourist attractions. I was only in each location long enough to take some photos, hear a brief history of the place, and then move on to the next destination, but I will share what I can remember. Most of the meals were on the run and not memorable,  so I've done a little research for any of you "foodies" planning on going in the near future.
     When I read my journal from this trip, I had written that I was about 95% vegan at the time of this trip in 2011. I know the first year after reading the book Skinny Bitch (by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin) was very difficult for me to find food that wasn't from an animal or animal by-products,  that had protein in it, and wasn't a lot of starchy calories. I believe I started my journey of veganism about a year before going to London. I was happy when the taxi driver who brought us from the airport to the hotel said that there were a lot of vegetarian options due to a high Indian population at that time in that area.
     One of the first destinations was to Trafalgar Square to admire the fountains and architecture. It is a public square in the city of Westminster, Central London, built around the area formerly known as Charing Cross. It is both a tourist attraction and site for political demonstrations. "Every December, Norway donates a Marvelous Christmas Tree to thank Britain for liberation from the Nazis" (tripsavvy.com).
    There are many places to eat nearby. Leicester Square Kitchen received 4.5 stars (tripadvisor.com) for their Mexican and Peruvian menu that also has vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options. Some other places near by rated highly are Portrait Restaurant with a rooftop view of Westminster, MOD Pizza, The George On The Strand for a traditional pub, or Afternoon Tea at The Savoy for a classic London experience (all have vegetarian/vegan options).
     Next was Piccadilly Circus, a road junction and public space in London's West End in the city of Westminster built in 1819 to connect Regent Street with Piccadilly. The Circus (round open space at a street junction) is a busy meeting place and tourist attraction near shopping and entertainment and is particularly known for it's video display and neon signs mounted on the corner building on the northern side as well as the Shaftesbury memorial fountain and statue (Wikipedia).
   Image result for piccadilly circus
     After crossing the Millennium Bridge (the London Millennium Footbridge), a steel suspension bridge for pedestrians to cross the River Thames, we stopped at Starbucks at South Bank for a well-needed caffeine boost. I was so glad to find a place to have coffee that actually served soy milk! Off to take photos with Big Ben and the London Eye which technically is not a Ferris wheel, but the worlds tallest cantilevered observation wheel. Apparently, on a clear day, you can see 40 kilometers in all directions (as far as Windsor Castle).
     I finally got a chance to stop and shop for souvenirs for my kids at Jubilee Market located in Jubilee Hall in Covent Garden, London. Saturdays and Sundays are devoted to arts and crafts with over 200 artisans. Mondays are for the antique lovers, and Tuesday through Friday the Market sells household goods, clothing, food and gifts. There are several places here to get vegetarian and vegan options such as Sagar, by Chloe, and Pho Vietnamese Restaurant.
     I was staying in Jury's Inn Hotel, although I don't remember the exact location. One night while out walking searching for food I saw a sign on the sidewalk that read "TAI Vegan Buffet". I don't know the last time I was so excited about food! I had been only eating very boring vegan food that I was able to find in a supermarket or cook for myself. This was the first time in a year that I was trying to be vegan that I actually went into a vegan restaurant. This was not just any restaurant...it was a vegan BUFFET!!! I couldn't believe that all of the options displayed that looked like a regular (non-vegan) buffet were made "cruelty-free" with NO animal products! I probably ate more during that one meal than I did the 3 days I was there, but I felt a sense of reassurance that I CAN DO THIS!!!
     I'm sure there are so many more monuments, tourist attractions, shopping centers, and eateries in London to visit...not to mention the theater district that I did not see much off, but this is what I can remember from my 3 cold days in London 7 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment