Thursday, March 8, 2018

Daytona Beach, Florida - Bike Week

     Daytona Beach is on Florida's East Coast and well known for Daytona International Speedway, which hosts February's Daytona 500 NASCAR Race (photo from visitflorida.com). Due to the beach's hard-packed sand, driving is permitted on it in some designated areas. There is also a boardwalk with rides and arcades with free concerts performed at the Daytona Beach Bandshell stage. There is plenty to do there, especially if you like sun, sand, and shopping!
   
Dayton Bike Week starts Friday, March 9th this year, following the NASCAR races, so I thought this would be a good time to write about this location which I've visited a few times over the years. The first time was  about 24 years ago before I was too cautious to ride on a motorcycle (prior to working in a hospital emergency room). I was young, carefree, and not vegan so I probably did what everyone else there was doing...riding up and down the strip, going to "biker bars", eating barbecued food, and wearing some sort of leather.
     In 2010 I went and met up with my sister Tarra and her husband who was rebuilding bikes at the time and had a table set up on the fairgrounds with his company. I had recently become vegan (no consuming or wearing animal products) and I remember I had a difficult time finding food I would eat besides salads and the protein bars I brought with me. It that summer I started performing as Times Square's Naked Cowgirl so came back to Daytona one more time not on a motorcycle, but instead walking through the crowds with a guitar, cowgirl hat, and a bikini. Videographer Ron Israel of "Behind the Scenes", whom I've known for many years from Baltimore and a local photographer Justin Laughman where there to capture videos and photos of all of the action going on. It was a very different experience from my first visit, but both were a lot of fun!
     There are so many restaurants, pubs, and cafes to eat at, but if your vegan it's always a little more challenging, but no worries...I've found some options for you! The Dancing Avocado kitchen is located in Daytona's Historic Downtown area on South Beach Street. It's a family-owned business serving to both herbivores and carnivores harmoniously.  Some vegan/vegetarian choices include veggie burgers, white bean soup, vegan waffles, guacamole and chips and even green juice smoothies, among many other healthy options (indoor and outdoor seating available).
     Another place located on Ridgewood Ave. in Daytona Beach is Oliv Epicurean Grill which is a casual eatery offering made-to-order Mediterranean Bowls and wraps and salads with vegetarian options. I even saw photos of some yummy looking falafel. On International Blvd. you can find falafel and kebabs at Pasha Middle East Cafe. If you're not one for trying new places you can always go to Panera Bread for a healthy soup or salad.
     Not into motorcycles or sand? Maybe you'd enjoy visiting the Museum of Arts and Science (http://www.moas.org/) to experience the planetarium's variety of live star shows, full-dome HD movies, and laser shows weekly. You baseball fans can check out the Jackie Robinson Ballpark located at 105 E. Orange Ave. on City Island. If you are NOT there for motorcycle fun, do NOT go within the next 10 days or you will be outnumbered! Just kidding...it's actually nice to see the comradery of the "bikers" and the diversity of people who enjoy riding. As an x-ray tech of 15 years in a top trauma center hospital in NJ, I'm completely against getting on a motorcycle anymore due to the horrific conditions I've seen people come into the ER after motorcycle accidents, so PLEASE be careful, wear a helmet, keep your skin covered regardless of the heat...and enjoy the sun and sand while I'm several inches deep in snow right now in New Jersey!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment